The Duke of Sussex has spoken for the first time about his surprise visit to see the Queen and Prince Charles after overcoming the backlash for missing Prince Philip’s memorial service last month.
Prince Harry shared the Queen’s enthusiasm for the Invictus Games after she visited her grandmother and Prince Charles last Thursday.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex met with the king at Windsor Castle in a secret stop before arriving in the Netherlands for the Invictus Games, which kick off on April 16.
The 37-year-old, who founded the competition for wounded, wounded and sick soldiers and women, said the Queen had “many messages” for Team England participants.
Stream more world news live & on demand with Flash. 25+ news channels in 1 place. New to Flash? Try 1 month free. Offer ends 31 October 2022
“He has a lot of messages for Team England which I have passed on to most of them,” Prince Harry told the BBC.
“So good to see him and I’m sure he would love to be here if he can.”
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s secret meeting with the Queen is the first time the couple has set foot on British soil since stepping down from royal duties in March 2020.
The meeting follows the couple who missed Prince Philip’s memorial service due to “security concerns” last month.
A senior royal source said Harry initiated the meeting and was making efforts to “clean up the atmosphere”, reports The Mirror.
They described the encounter as “very friendly” and “very warm and kind”.
“Harry set it all off. It was an olive branch from Harry and was made in an attempt to clear things up,” the source said.
“He made an approach to Charles who was obviously very pleased and accepted.”
The King has reportedly invited Harry and Meghan to appear on the balcony of Buckingham Palace during his Platinum Jubilee celebrations in June.
The couple are said to have informed him of their plans to visit again so he can spend time with their children, two-year-old Archie and 11-month-old Lilibet.