Prince Harry, 37, and Meghan Markle, 40, have reportedly been harassed by the Dutch royals ahead of Meghan’s first trip outside the US since ‘Megxit’ in 2020.
The pair traveled to the Netherlands for four days for The Invictus Games, which opened on Easter Sunday.
Royals will historically live with the Dutch royal family, led by King Willem-Alexander, 54.
Watch all your favorite shows on Channel 7 or stream free on 7plus >>
However Harry and Meghan are reportedly not invited to stay at the palace in The Hague and will instead take a hotel, Sun reported.
The insults come because the pair appear to have turned down opportunities for armed security in the Netherlands.
Harry and Meghan lost access to British taxpayer-funded security in January 2020, when they stepped down as senior working royals.
They now have privately funded private cover in the US, but Sun have reported that the Dutch authorities will not allow the team to be armed while on Dutch soil.
Back to England
Meanwhile, it is unclear whether the couple will visit the UK after their time in the Netherlands, given they did not return home for Prince Phillip’s memorial last month.
A legal representative for Harry previously said the 37-year-old said the family were “unable to return home”, fearing it was too dangerous without security there.
In September, Harry took legal action against the British government in a bid to regain taxpayer-funded security privileges.
At the time, Harry’s representative said: “England will always be Prince Harry’s home and a country he wants his wife and children to be safe. With the lack of police protection this poses too great a personal risk.”
Overcoming Harry’s fear of returning home, the former head of Royal protection at Scotland Yard, Dai Davies, claimed it was “utter nonsense”.
On security measures for most working royals, Davies added: “Most of them now don’t get full time or even part time protection, so the truth is the UK is much safer than most other places.
“And with great respect, Harry is not a security expert,” he said Daily mail.
The need for security
On Monday, a spokesperson for Meghan and Harry confirmed that Meghan would be attending the first few days of the Invictus Games.
Also while in the Netherlands, the couple will be shooting a new Netflix documentary, invictus heart, under their auspices Archewell Productions, which launched in October 2020.
Archewell’s website says the documentary will “show powerful stories of the resilience and hope of competitors on their journey to Invictus Games The Hague 2020”.
In a statement on the production company’s website, Prince Harry expressed his excitement for the upcoming “evoking story” series.
“As Archewell Productions’ first series with Netflix, in partnership with the Invictus Games Foundation, I am excited to travel forward or even more proud of the Invictus community as it continues to inspire global healing, human potential, and sustainable service,” he said.
The Invictus Games, co-founded by Prince Harry, pit sick and injured veterans against each other in sporting events, and aim to “show how the power of sport can inspire and heal us all”.
The 2020 games were postponed to 2021, and then again to this year, due to the COVID19 pandemic.
For more royal content, visit 7Life on Facebook.