Senior royals believe Meghan and Harry could try to “overshadow” the Queen’s upcoming platinum celebration to film content for their debut Netflix series.
Royals fear Harry and Meghan’s show could “hijack and overshadow” the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee if the couple returns for the celebrations.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s every move at this week’s Invictus Games was caught by the film crew as part of their $200 million deal with Netflix.
The pair flew to the Netherlands for the event a day after Harry “instigated” secret talks at Windsor Castle last week, marking their first joint visit to Britain since they stepped back from royal life in early 2020.
Senior sources believe the sneak visit is their bid to pave the way for “front and center venues” at Jubilee events in June.
Netflix’s crew of 30 got exclusive behind-the-scenes footage at the Olympics for the documentary series.
And there’s fear within the Royal Family that Netflix could apply pressure to film the Sussexes at the Queen’s celebration — even though royal insiders point out the pair have always vowed to “uphold Her Majesty’s values” in their new roles.
A source said: “Charles wants the Platinum Jubilee to focus solely on the Queen.
“Many are disappointed because [Prince] Andrew overshadows Prince Philip’s thanksgiving ceremony and doesn’t want Meghan and Harry’s circus hijacking Jubilee.
“This is the Queen’s show and it should be about her and her 70 years of service rather than Meghan, the kids and Harry fashion.
“They don’t want it to be a Harry and Meghan show. Charles and the whole family agree on that.”
Harry and Meghan have not confirmed that they will attend the Queen’s four-day celebration, which includes the annual Trooping the Color festival.
The Queen is also expected to attend a thanksgiving ceremony at St Paul’s Cathedral and will join Prince Andrew for a day at the race at the Epsom Derby.
There will also be a special concert at Buckingham Palace.
The insider added: “The royal family will be watching the Invictus show this week regarding where Netflix will be when Jubilee comes.
“They’re going to want to shoot behind the scenes or be in the crowd at Jubilee because that’s better footage for a documentary.”
It is not yet known whether Netflix or Sussex have issued a guarantee regarding Jubilee.
It’s understandable that Harry engineered Castle’s meeting in a short amount of time, but the reunion with his father Charles and Camilla lasted 15 minutes — while their face-to-face with the Queen lasted a little longer.
Harry requested a brief family talk and arrived on Wednesday to stay at Frogmore Cottage in the castle grounds before their royal reunion the following morning.
But his father Charles, 73, was busy getting ready for the Maundy Thursday service where he was replacing the Queen, meaning their meeting was kept short. It was scheduled for 10 a.m. before Harry, 37, and Meghan, 40, saw the 95-year-old king later, between 10:30 and 1 p.m.
One insider said: “Charles maintains Harry is still a much-loved child”. But others claim it was a “reluctant” meeting and the pair were “not welcomed with open arms”.
A source added: “No one else was allowed into the room.”
After Charles and Camilla left, Harry and Meghan spoke with the Queen – who is not expected to attend today’s Easter Sunday service due to mobility issues.
Prince William was not at Windsor Castle last Thursday. He is known to be on a ski holiday with Kate and their three children. Her relationship with Harry had been strained for some time.
The royal concerns come a year after Harry was stripped of military honors and patronage amid concerns that TV bosses could use him to promote Netflix documentaries and US talk shows.
The Queen turned down Harry’s offer for a “half in, half out” hybrid royal role, however, she kept her role in the Invictus Games, which she co-founded in 2014.
Buckingham Palace and Clarence House would not comment.
Last night, the Netflix team – with their signature numbered burgundy bibs – were there when Meghan took the stage in The Hague to speak to the thousands of former military men and women who took part in the sporting event.
Introducing Harry, he said he had spent many late nights and early mornings planning to make the Olympics as “perfect as possible”.
In showing affection he said: “I could not love and respect him more and I am sure you all feel the same as he is your fellow veteran who has served two tours of duty in Afghanistan and ten years of military service.
“He is the founder of Invictus Games and the father of our two young children, Archie and Lili. Please greet my wonderful husband, Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex.”
The prince, looking emotional, said: “Thank you, my love.” Addressing the competitors, he said: “Oh my God, I miss all of you.”
He said two-year-old Archie wanted to be an astronaut, a helicopter pilot, and as a joke he said “or Kwazii from the Octonauts”.
This story originally appeared in The Sun and is reproduced with permission