Karl Stefanovic has been dogged by rumors that he is planning to leave the Today show to take on a surprising new opportunity.
Karl Stefanovic has hit back at rumors that he is stepping away from his role as co-host on the Today show.
When asked by Neil Mitchell of 3AW if the rumors were true, Stefanovic replied: “No way, complete nonsense.”
On Monday, Women’s Day reports that Stefanovic will be stepping down from her position as co-host of breakfast television for Channel 9 and will focus on producing more stories for 60 Minutes.
The report states that Stefanovic will continue to play a behind-the-scenes role on the Today show which will allow her to spend more time with her family.
Karl and his wife Jasmine’s daughter, Harper May, will turn two next week. He also has three children with his ex Cassandra Thorburn.
3AW reports that Channel 9 insiders also dismissed the Woman’s Day report, saying it was “absurd, believe me”.
That Women’s Day The report relies on “well-placed insiders” who claim Stefanovic also wants to spend time bringing people back into regional Australia.
“Last week she was in Victoria and NSW with the charity Gotcha4Life’s Mateship Miles Roadshow – she really loves this kind of stuff,” the article says.
While Stefanovic visited several regional cities around Victoria, ACT and NSW to discuss regional issues and raise money for mental fitness organization Gotcha4Life, there was no suggestion on the tour that she would leave. Today.
This is not the first time there have been suggestions that Stefanovic will leave the channel. In 2018, he was fired from Today after 15 years with the network.
At the time Today the show has seen a significant downgrade following the departure of co-host Lisa Wilkinson and Stefanovic’s personal life has been the subject of tabloid scrutiny.
The fallout from details of an embarrassing phone call between Stefanovic and his brother Peter leaked to New idea and is believed to have contributed.
He was reappointed after one year because his successor failed to rank.
Nine News director Darren Wick said at the time: “We took the bold decision to try something new with two women hosting the show. Today show this year and unfortunately it didn’t work out for the audience.”