Chris Rock was seen walking the sidewalks in New York City’s Soho neighborhood after picking up breakfast from a local delicatessen.
The 57-year-old comedian carried a black plastic bag and wore large black headphones around his neck as he walked through the Spring Street subway station on Thursday.
Chris’ outing comes after his younger brother Kenny Rock challenges Will Smith to a boxing match following Smith’s attack on SNL alumni at the Academy Awards.
Breakfast: Chris Rock is seen walking the sidewalks in Soho after picking up breakfast from a local delicatessen
The stand-up star looked casual in a light green T-shirt which he paired with khaki cargo pants.
The Grown Ups actor wears white sneakers and shields his eyes from the sun with gold-rimmed aviator glasses.
The South Carolina native holds her iPhone and completes it with a small earring.
Out and about: The 57-year-old comedian carries a black plastic bag and wears large black headphones around his neck as he walks the Spring Street subway station
Chris has kept a relatively low profile since the award shows although he has continued the Ego Death World Tour, which was his first comic comedy tour in five years.
Ticket prices for his stand-up shows have skyrocketed after the shocking Oscar incident.
The Head of State recently added a second show in Cincinnati after his first sold out.
The Challenge: Chris’ outing comes after his younger brother Kenny challenges Will Smith to a boxing match following Smith’s attack on SNL alumni at the Academy Awards.
Meanwhile, his brother Kenny says that he wants to meet Will in the boxing ring.
Kenny, 42, showed up with Celebrity Boxing promoter Damon Feldman in New York City on Tuesday, telling TMZ he’s signed up for a potential match, should Smith decide to accept his offer.
The open contract that Kenny signed was for the match scheduled to take place at the Charles F. Dodge City Center in Pembroke Pines, Florida on June 11.
Latest: Meanwhile, his brother Kenny says that he wants to meet Will in the boxing ring
“I have to get in the ring with Will Smith,” said Kenny. ‘I can drop it… I’ll let the hands do the talking.’
Kenny told the outlet he had been ‘texting and talking’ with Chris, who was ‘fine’ a few weeks after the incident.
Kenny expressed skepticism over the 10-year ban Smith received from the Academy Awards last week, after slapping the comedian during the March 27 show.
“We’ll have to see if he actually gets a 10-year ban,” Kenny said. ‘After three years, they might think we’re going to forget it and then put it in … we have to make sure these people do what they say they’re going to do.’
Kenny said he doubted Rock accepted the apology Smith issued to Rock on social media following the meeting, adding that he “didn’t want to bring it up” when talking to his brother.
Kenny was asked about comments his brother Tony Rock, 47, made after the Oscars, when Tony told the Los Angeles Times he was disturbed by the physical assault on his brother in front of a worldwide audience.
Kenny appeared with Celebrity Boxing promoter Damon Feldman in New York City on Tuesday, telling TMZ he had reached a contract for a potential match, should Smith decide to accept his offer.
Kenny told the outlet he had been ‘texting and talking’ to Chris who was ‘fine’ a few weeks after the incident.
Chris Rock has remained tight-lipped about the incident involving Smith at the Oscars, briefly discussing it on several comedy shows in the two weeks since the shocking incident.
“It irritates me to see it over and over again, because you’ve seen a loved one get attacked and there’s nothing you can do about it,” Tony told the April 4 newspaper. “Every time I watch a video, it’s like a rendition that keeps repeating itself in my head.
“My brother wasn’t a threat to him and you didn’t respect him back then. You just looked down on him in front of the millions who watched the show.’
Kenny told TMZ he doesn’t blame Tony – who said the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences should take the Best Actor award Smith won for King Richard at the trial – for “taking it a bit personally.”
After the incident, Smith’s former music collaborator, DJ Jazzy Jeff, 57, defended him during an appearance Thursday at Dorian’s Chicago’s Through The Record Shop for Conversations of Legends Closed Sessions.
DJ Jazzy Jeff said that Smith’s slapping Rock was due to an unusual ‘misjudgment’ on Smith’s part which he likely regrets.
Smith’s former music collaborator DJ Jazzy Jeff, 57, defended him during an appearance Thursday at Dorian’s Chicago Through The Record Shop for Conversations of Legends Closed Sessions. He was photographed in LA in February
The music artist, who is half of the Grammy-winning tandem DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince, is seen with Smith in February
‘Don’t twist that it’s something he’s proud of: it’s a misjudgment, you know?’ The music artist, who is half of the Grammy-winning tandem DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince, said in a clip published on WGCI Chicago’s Instagram page.
He added: ‘I think the thing I realized was I didn’t know too many people who had less misjudgment than him. I can mention 50 times that he should have hit someone and he didn’t. So for him to have an error in judgment, he is human. And I think a lot of the criticism comes from people who don’t think people like that are human.’
The Oscar swap between Smith and Rock came after Rock made a joke about bald head Jada Pinkett Smith, saying, ‘Jada, I love you, GI Jane 2, can’t wait to see it,’ in reference to the 1997 film which featured Demi Moore with a shaved head. (Pinkett Smith, 50, has been diagnosed with alopecia, which causes hair loss.)
Smith then walked up to the stage and hit Rock, then went back to his seat and shouted at him twice, ‘Keep my wife’s name out of your damn mouth!’ to a stunned audience at the Dolby Theater in Hollywood, California.
Chris Rock has remained tight-lipped about the incident involving Smith at the Oscars, discussing it briefly on several comedy shows in the two weeks since the shocking incident.
The Emmy-winning player appeared Friday at the Fantasy Springs Resort Casino in Indio, California, telling the audience, ‘I’m fine. I own the whole show and I won’t talk about it until I get paid,” the Palm Springs Desert Sun reported.