If you’ve ever wondered what it’s like to work on a super-luxury cruise ship – and love reality TV – then Under Deck could be the perfect series for you.
Only if this show is over then there might be more drama than you expected.
I decided to jump into the first episode of Season 7 – mainly because it’s available for free streaming on 9Now. It follows the cast and crew as they work during the rental season around Thailand, giving guests the time of their lives.
Stream Under Deck episodes for free on 9Now.
But while for the guests it’s often about having fun, for the staff there’s a lot of chaos behind the scenes. And luckily we get to see all of that.
Here are 21 thoughts I had while watching Under Deck for the first time. And just a warning, the end of the episode sees a lot of bombs being dropped.
1. I enjoyed the introductory insight into all the personalities working on board, but I also noticed one recurring theme. They all like to party. It got to the point where I wondered how much work was actually done on this ship.
READ MORE: 6 things you need to know about the reality show Under Deck
2. Oh my gosh all these amazing Thailand photos really make me want to visit them. It’s been three minutes of this show and I’m already considering getting on one of these cruises. As a customer of course, working there seemed like a hot mess.
3. All the workers arrived the day before the guests, and Ashton seemed to be in charge of taking on the role of Bosun. I had to Google what Bosun was doing, and in short, he’s in charge of most of the crew. Ashton revealed that he was nervous, and that made me nervous… But also excited about the potential for drama.
4. Chef Kevin is surprisingly experienced and has very high standards. “Kevin looks like Tom Cruise mixed with Hugh Grant,” said butler Kate. I’m not sure about that Kate, but sure. Kate is also in charge of the two maids Simone and Courtney
5. Courtney just revealed to Kate that service makes her uncomfortable, and I’m pretty sure that’s about 95 percent of her job. He later added that as an only child he was his “parents favorite” and I was just waiting for someone to tell him he got the title by default.
6. Abbie, 24, and Tanner, 26, who are both deck workers, looked familiar while cleaning the boat. For some reason I just had a feeling they would kiss later. I could be wrong, but I’m humbled for this romance.
7. Captain Lee just assembled the crew and he scared them all with a very tense talk. I live for it. “If I had to release someone from prison, you would go straight to the airport,” Lee told the crew. It’s nice to know the standards are low, and you really have to commit a crime to be fired from this job. Maybe I can do it. Probably not.
8. Gosh, they have profiles on all the guests, and someone wanted to have a private dinner with the violinist on the second night. I have to see this. Either it’s going to be a romantic masterpiece or an absolute train wreck that I won’t be able to avoid.
9. I stayed for Courtney during this drink pop quiz. He understood what an ‘old fashioned’ cocktail was, and then revealed why. “The only reason I know what [these] drink is because I like to drink. I’ll drink champagne on a cruise, I’ll drink roses on a cruise. I’ll have a mimosa, maybe like a spicy margarita. The sky’s the limit on a cruise ship,” he said. Yes, Courtney . . . just do it. You’re on a yacht.
10. Guests come to enjoy champagne and this is a good start. I also can’t believe the cruise ship is shining in the few days of cleaning and preparation for the arrival of guests. It looks pretty now. Also the crew looks very good in uniform. They looked really bad the day before.
11. The guests were getting hungry and the poor staff didn’t know when the anchor was dropped and when lunch would be served. But maybe my favorite part was that even though it wasn’t a big deal, the chef was furious about it.
12. Both butler Kate and chef Kevin are not angry at all. Turns out the guests loved the lunch, and I was so disappointed because I wanted to know what Kate would have done had it not been perfect.
13. That night the deck workers were busy cleaning and Bosun Ashton found it odd that he didn’t give his crew a rest. Personally I can tell from watching one day what deckhands has done that I won’t survive this cruise. Especially without food.
14. Kate and Kevin still bicker and hate each other, but it seems Kevin’s saving grace is that the guests live for his food as I live for Dua Lipa’s music. “All cruise ship chefs are crazy and if they weren’t crazy their food would be bad,” Kate explained. “Tonight he [Kevin] proves he can cook really well.”
15. This is PLOT TWIST. I thought it would be Abbi and Tanner. But apparently not. “I wanted to get in touch with Kate,” Tanner said. “I just think she’s as hot as f—. Kate has caught my attention 100 percent. She’s beautiful, smart, funny, and I tend to gravitate towards older women. The oldest woman I’ve ever been with is 58.” Let’s just say my mind is blown away.
16. While I can’t wait for Kate to find out about Tanner’s crush, I’ve been blown away by the butler’s latest statement about the guests. When the young couple made a video call home to their dog, Kate called Michael and Samantha a “beautiful couple”. He then added, “And a perfect example of a guy who has a lot of money and a very sexy girl.”
17. Michael then comes into the kitchen to talk to Kevin about the special night that is coming tomorrow. After all, he had requested a special dinner for two. She tells Kevin that she plans to propose after dinner. But there’s a potential problem, as chef Kevin has severe stomach cramps. He headed for the bed and I felt like I was left on a cliff.
18. But I don’t have time to think about this. Courtney has just made a special report to her boss Kate. “Tanner wants to bang on you,” he told her. Kate found the news “very flattering” and “very scary” and I couldn’t help but agree. “I thought Tanner was the funniest thing ever if I was in my 20s,” Kate said.
19. It’s a brand new day and our chef Kevin has risen with a big cramp. They showed us every time she had to run to the bathroom, which was very frequent. It made me think the proposal would run into some cramp-causing issues.
20. During the day Courtney and Tanner went to the beach with a group for a walk, and Courtney was not happy. He didn’t like the heat. He wasn’t happy about the possibility of getting a brown T-shirt. He didn’t like stepping on a small shell in the sand. She really wasn’t happy, and I found that very comforting, and very understandable because I could be a princess too.
21. Back on the ship we see Kevin heading back to the bathroom… but that’s all we see, because the episode just ended! WHAT? I was very upset that I couldn’t see the proposal. Well not too upset that I can only watch the next episode. But still. I can only say that I will end up watching the whole season.
Stream Under Deck episodes for free on 9Now.