Andrew O’Keefe’s alleged ‘prima donna’ antics in prison revealed

Troubled former TV star, Andrew O’Keefe’s alleged “prima donna” antics behind bars has been exposed by staff at Silverwater prison.

Staff at Sydney’s Silverwater prison have shed light on the life of fallen TV star Andrew O’Keefe behind bars as he awaits trial, along with his alleged “prima donna” antics.

The 50-year-old has been held at Silverwater prison after being charged in January with strangling a sex worker by the neck, punching him and pushing him to the ground.

Sources within the prison have informed Daily Telegraph that O’Keefe wasn’t very welcoming to his temporary life in prison.

One source told the publication that former Pursuit the host has been “in his own right” during his time at the facility.

“He demands. Constantly asking for this and that… he was a true prima donna,” they said.

“I don’t think he accepts the fact that he is (in detention).”

O’Keefe’s defense attorney, Arjun Chhabra, has previously complained about his client’s treatment in custody, telling the court last month that he had been “surrounded” by members of a warring motorcycle gang, denied treatment and harassed by Corrective Services officers.

O’Keefe also suffered from “impaired vision due to an altercation with the Corrective Officer,” Mr Chhabra told the court.

Last month, O’Keefe formally pleaded not guilty to the six charges he faces.

He faced Sydney Central Local Court on March 11, appearing in prison green attire via audiovisual link from the Metropolitan Center for Admission and Detention at Silverwater prison.

O’Keefe pleaded not guilty to all charges, including intentionally strangling someone without consent, three counts of casual assault and one count of assault causing actual bodily injury.

See also  Kevin Tway at the Wyndham Championship: Live, TV Channels | August 4-7 - How to Watch and Stream Major Leagues & College Sports

Through his lawyers, O’Keefe previously claimed that he acted in self-defense and was the victim of an assault himself.

The complainant in his case was not charged with any offence.

In the weeks following his arrest, police filed further charges after they found him with 1.5 grams of marijuana.

He has pleaded guilty to drug possession charges and has not been sentenced.

O’Keefe lost her last bid for bail in the NSW Supreme Court in March, with prosecutors telling the court that the woman and the former TV star knew each other when she purchased sex services from him.

The two later developed a friendship.

O’Keefe claimed before the alleged attack that the woman owed him about $20,000 and pressured him to give him more money to advance his flower business, the court heard.

He claims he acted in self-defense, with Mr Chhabra saying O’Keefe claimed the woman grabbed a cricket bat and scissors before he started attacking her and she was forced to defend herself in an attempt to “distract and disarm”.

“There is a real chance of being released,” Chhabra told the court.

“In terms of faith… full-time imprisonment is inevitable.

“He also has motivation to lie. By going to the police and making a complaint, he could potentially absolve himself of the $20,000 debt he had summoned.”

O’Keefe, who was told the court had been battling cocaine and ice addiction, wanted guarantees that he could attend a mental health rehab facility for three weeks.

The duration of the rehabilitation assignment was deemed insufficient and the bail was denied.

See also  Tencent challenges Alibaba, Douyin with 618 shopping festival debut - South China Morning Post

The trial date for the six counts of assault and choking has been set for July 18.

He will also return to court for another hearing in June after pleading not guilty to violating a restraining force order imposed to protect a different alleged victim who also cannot be identified for legal reasons.

– with NCA NewsWire

Read related topics:Sydney

Leave a Comment